I’m not a sugary-sweet food type of person. I’ll almost always choose savory first. Even when it comes to dessert, I prefer things with depth and a good balance. If it tastes like it’s going to dissolve my teeth with sugar, I’ll typically pass. But that said, I still love chocolate. Preferably dark chocolate. And I love coffee. So what even better than dark chocolate, or coffee? When you combine them.
This recipe is super quick to prepare, and makes a delicious treat that’s perfect for breakfast or a snack. I usually throw this together before leaving for work in the morning to have as a mid afternoon snack, but you could also make it at night so it’s ready first thing in the morning.
NOTE: I make this in a measuring cup, adding everything but the chia seeds, and fill until the total ingredients reach the 1/3C mark. It does mean that I probably use less than the 1/3C listed, but the measurements can be adjusted to your taste. It depends how soupy you want the end result!
Mocha Chia Pudding
- 1T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2t instant espresso powder
- 1/2t sugar (I use raw sugar)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2t vanilla extract
- 1T chia seeds
- 1/3C milk of choice (I use SoDelicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage)
- Step 1 Mix the cocoa powder, coffee powder, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Step 2 Add in a bit of the coconut milk, and mix into a paste. I find that the cocoa powder is easier to stir in this way.
- Step 3 Stir in the rest of the coconut milk.
- Step 4 Add the chia seeds, and mix everything together, making sure none of the seeds or cocoa powder is stuck in clumps.
- Step 5 Let sit closed in the fridge for at least a few hours, preferably 4 hours minimum or overnight.
- Step 6 Stir before eating, and enjoy!